The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-had-an-affinity-card-with-them-some-proceeds-13224927.aspx

Subject:  Re: MBNA? Date:  8/31/2000  4:05 PM
Author:  kaigun Number:  43305 of 308882

I had an affinity card with them (some proceeds went to The Retired Officers Association) at 7.9% for a year. When rate went up I cancelled. They countered with a Platinum card with 9.9%, so I kept the card. They recently informed me that the rate was going up to 11.9%, so when next month's zero balance bill comes in I will give them another call and ask why the increase.
At this new rate, it would be my highest interest rate (paying off debt using a modified pyramid where highest balance on lowest rate, pay smaller balance/high rate cards off and DESTROY them), and so will be facing the axe (or scissors in this case).

Anyway, I have only had the 9.9 for about a year, and am not willing to call every three months to dicker with the rates. To quote Richard Gere in 'Pretty Woman', they would have to do some "major sucking up" to keep me at this point.

(cue Queen track...) dm,dm,dm, Another one bites the dust...

Tom
Kaigun Chusa
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us