The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/conversion-of-roth-to-conventional-ira-13235895.aspx

Subject:  conversion of roth to conventional IRA Date:  9/2/2000  12:09 PM
Author:  jdssps Number:  39457 of 121095

I added to an existing roth ira in jan of this year and now it looks as though i will exceed the income limits. How do i go about converting that portion to a regular ira. In one account that i added $2000 i bought HGSI and spent less than the 2000 however the stock is now up about 55% do i have to sell? In another account that i added 2000 i bought slightly more than 2000 of amgen. do i have to sell both of these and then transfer a portion or all of the money to a regular ira please help...

if i gift someone stock that is worth 9500 do i or the person who is being gifted have to report to irs on any form even though neither of us have to pay taxes? Also is it better to wait until jan 2001 to take advantage of the new long long term capital gains 8/18%? If so i have a high tax basis ie i paid $15 for stock now worth about $140/share would that affect decision?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us