The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltltif-i-take-an-early-retirement-i-will-13242046.aspx

Subject:  Re: Do I have enough? Date:  9/4/2000  9:47 AM
Author:  JLC Number:  24570 of 75802

<<<If I take an early retirement I will get a small pension of about $700/month. I'll get maybe $1200/month from Social Security starting in three years at age 62.>>>

Combined with your 600k retirement fund, which would give you about 30k/yr, you'll be "living" off of $3200/month for awile and then up to $4400/month. Your biggest fear isn't is that enough now, but is that enough 20-30 years from now. Due to inflation, that $4400 buying power could be down to $2000 when you're 75-80 and in no position to work.

<<<Also, my wife thinks I am “too young” to retire at 57. Any opinions on that?>>>

Personally, I'll never "retire" because I love doing what I do. However, I'll definitely slow down some. Not work as many days per week or what not. Or change from a paying job to a volunteer/charity job. I do have some older friends that have made their hobby their second career. Some have become golf course marshalls on a part time basis so they get all the free golf they want. THAT'S what I need to look into.

JLC

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us