The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Transferring an annuity Date:  9/5/2000  7:52 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  39583 of 127611

<<My grandfather is 91 years old. He wants to give me an annuity that is currently worth $110,000. What would be the best way to proceed without tax or minimum tax penalty.>>

See a qualified estate planning tax pro. It may or may not be the best way to proceed. It's quite possible that it would be best for grandpa to cash out the annuity, pay the taxes at his (assumed) lower tax level, and gift you the cash.

There are also a number of different ways to skin this same cat. And you really need the help of a qualified professional to review all of the options to light the was for the "best" transfer. This really isn't a "do it yourself" type of situation.

You can read more about gift, inheritance and estate issues in the Taxes FAQ area.

TMF Taxes

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us