The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Taxes on IRAs-corrected post Date:  9/8/2000  3:22 AM
Author:  ferneyvoltaire Number:  39698 of 127753

I am an American who would like to retire in France. My wife and I have a rollover IRA (from a retirement account from a employer), individual IRA's for my wife and I and a taxable investment account, all of which are with a large brokerage company.

How will each of these accounts be treated when I start taking money out of them in terms of income or capital gains tax?

Is capital gains in the US taxable in France? I have read the tax treaty between France and the US and in the capital gains section, it only refers to "real property" which I assume means buildings and land.

Does anyone know how IRA proceeds are handled by other Americans living overseas in terms of paying tax in the country where you reside if you also pay the tax in the US?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. If this has already been covered in previous posts, please just direct me to them. FV
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us