The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/looking-for-social-security-answers-13308189.aspx

Subject:  Looking for Social Security Answers Date:  9/14/2000  10:57 PM
Author:  MostCurious Number:  24823 of 86950

Have tried calling the SSA, but not gotten a real answer. Here's the scenario: I'm 57, my wife's 61.
In 2001, upon turning 62 my wife can get a small benefit of maybe $200 a month on her own earnings record. (Full benefit on her own record at 65 and 4 months maybe $250.)
Four years later in 2005, when I turn 62, I expect to apply for SS and get a reduced benefit (75% of full benefit at 66) of maybe $750 on my earnings record.
Once I start collecting on my record, my wife can increase her benefits by claiming her spousal (50%) benefit.
Some unanswered questions remain:
1.) In the situation described, is the spousal benefit 50% of my full retirement benefit, or 50% of my age 62 benefit.
2.) By drawing benefits for four years on her own record, does this reduce the 50% spousal benefit in any way?
I'm hoping for the following answers:
a.)yes she can draw $200 a month for 4 years on her own record.
b.)This does not reduce her spousal benefits; i.e. at age 62 I would get 75% of my full retirement benefit, and once I start collecting, she would get a 50% spousal benefit of my full retirement benefit because by that time she'll be 66.
In the above guesstimate of approximate benefits that would mean once I retire, I get $750 a month and my wife gets an additional $500 a month.
Is this correct?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us