The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/gcollier-the-situation-you-described-is-not-13364964.aspx

Subject:  Re: IMPORTANT - Letter to Fidelity Date:  9/25/2000  1:09 PM
Author:  dweiss3 Number:  25060 of 74759

GCollier,

The situation you described is not unique to Fidelity. I have encountered the same situation with regard to my parents' IRA's with First Union Bank. Mom has alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. Dad has been in and out of the hospital several times recently. I hold Power of Attorney for both of them. I was able to arrange for access to their checking and money market accounts at First Union by supplying a copy of the POA's. However, for the IRA's the bank requires their own special POA form to be signed by mom and day. I am traveling to Pennslvania this weekend (where they live) to get these forms signed.

I should also add that arrangements with Vanguard, Lord Abbett and Manulife on other accounts of my parents were also difficult. All three eventually accepted the original POA's and Summary of Trust documents once I provided copies and letters of instructions with signature guarentees. The whole process of arranging to handle my parents finances took many weeks and many letters and phone calls.

You are wise to get these questions addressed before the need arises. Good luck.

dave
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us