The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Supporting one parent financially Date:  9/26/2000  2:53 PM
Author:  agnethafaltskog Number:  40324 of 127616

I need to ask this question, as I never quite got a clear answer to it when I asked various people. My husband and I file a joint tax return. My mother wishes to divorce my father (her only income is her Social Security pension - about $150 per month). Upon a divorce, she does not want any money from my father. So, my question is: is there a way, in this divorce situation, for me to financially support my mother and be able to deduct that from our taxes? I pay a fortune in taxes and have been agonizing for a long time over how I could help my mother become financially independent of my father, through making more of my tax dollars go toward help for HER, rather than toward another installment of Tom Brokaw's "Fleecing of America". What options do I have? Is this goal so unattainable for me?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us