The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Mom is 70 1/2 and freaking out!! Date:  10/6/2000  8:51 AM
Author:  BGPenhollo Number:  25328 of 88530

TMF Pixy posted...

"All in all, you should urge her most strongly to see an estate planner/tax advisor familiar with these issues. She only gets one chance here, and if she does it wrong, she can cost herself and her heirs some big bucks. Unless she enjoys giving Uncle Sam more than she has to, then getting some good advice is well worth the price."

I agree with Pixy about taking your mother to an FP because my mother passed that time and I was not involved in her finances because I didn't feel capable.

Now that I am more actively involved, I can see many of the decisions that could have and should have been made differently. I figure I am pretty sharp and have learned alot. I do not use an FP myself but for this one issue - RMD - I will use an FP. In fact, I will probably seek out an FP's advice 2 to 3 years prior to 70 1/2 as well as when I am 70 1/2. If my mother had the opportunity to remake that decision I'd pay for her to see an FP. It is way too easy to screw this up.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us