The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/expensive-sunglasses-i-mean-really-you-know-13466299.aspx

Subject:  Re: The New Luxuries Date:  10/11/2000  3:59 PM
Author:  brewer12345 Number:  21470 of 748856

Expensive sunglasses (I mean really, you know you're going to lose them or break them during the summer.)

Hmm, I tend to agree with you except that its very hard to know what someone else's "needs" truly are. For example, my wife buys 5 buck special sunglasses because she will crush, scratch beyond use, or lose them within 6 months (at most). I on the other hand, can't make do with cheap shades. I used to wear prescription eyeglasses and I find it annoying and disorienting to wear cheaply made sunglasses that distort my vision. My most recent pair is a set of polarized photochromic sunglasses that ran me $100 (even after I really shopped around and ended up buying them on the web). Since I kept the pair before for about 7 years (when the frame finally gave out), I don't view it as a problem. In fact, I'll probably spend less on shades over the next 5 years than my wife will.

Are the expensive shades one of my "needs?" I think so, but obviously other might not agree.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us