The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltare-the-expensive-shades-one-of-my-13466787.aspx

Subject:  Re: The New Luxuries Date:  10/11/2000  4:55 PM
Author:  DataCommFool Number:  21481 of 736103

<<Are the expensive shades one of my "needs?" I think so, but obviously other might not agree. >>

The differences make for an interesting topic though.

In this case I was thinking of the designer sunglasses but since it is only $100 over 7 years it is hard to argue that they are a luxury. But if your wife were to buy $100 - $150 designer shades twice a year then I think that is a luxury.

There must be many people who disagree with that statement however because there must be a lot of people who buy luxury items, like designer sunglasses, since it seems as if many are produced. Now if it were just sunglasses then no big deal but when all the other luxury items are added in then no wonder there is no room for savings.

My point though is that it seem to me as if 'the savers' don't miss the luxuries or don't mind waiting for them whereas the 'non savers' have to have them. Is it just will power? I don't think that is the only reason. I can say no to spending but I also don't even think about luxuries so I wonder if that is true with other savers. For me saving is like any other bill. X for the mortgage, Y for the electric, Z for saving. And with an automatic payroll deduction it's, well, automatic. :)

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us