The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotso-we-define-luxury-as-the-possession-of-13479644.aspx

Subject:  Re: The New Luxuries Date:  10/13/2000  1:58 PM
Author:  BigPantsMatt Number:  21670 of 753867

"So we define luxury as the possession of goods and services--electronics equipment, restaurant dining, vacations. But are these things really luxuries in today's world? A luxury to me is something rare and precious that brings an unusual feeling of comfort or pleasure. I question whether the things that can be bought with a credit card still fit the bill."

So that is the basic question. I argue that luxury can most definately be purchased with a credit card. Consider this most fundamental luxury: the opportunity for self-expression. With a credit card I can afford to do things I enjoy, like learning to snowboard, or visiting distant friends, or buying a DV camera and making movies. Luxury can be based upon ownership of material goods, but not just for the sake of placing them on the mantle or parking them in the garage. Rather, material goods act as tools to help extend our freedom and let us follow our dreams.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us