The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/moving-from-401k-to-ira-13502542.aspx

Subject:  Moving from 401k to IRA Date:  10/17/2000  1:13 PM
Author:  GliderGuy Number:  25569 of 76418

I thoroughly enjoy reading this board and am always impressed with the aggregate knowledge here and the thoughtfulness of the replies. Perhaps someday my knowledge and writing skills might approach the level at which I can make meaningful contributions. Until that time, I've a question or two the group might feel inclined to offer an opinion on.

My best buddy and I are around 5 years from an early retirement and we're really having fun these days watching our life savings grow. We have been and are LTBH investors. We intend to stay heavily invested in equities during retirement.

My wife has the opportunity to move her 401k savings from the mutual fund based plan at a former employer. I believe the right thing to do is to move the money into her IRA where she can direct investments into various stocks we hold.

Question: Should we set up a separate IRA account for this money or just fold it into her current IRA? I was initially thinking of using one IRA to cut down on record keeping, but possibly there are good reasons to keep the funds separate.

What's the opinion here on how we should apply the money? I tend towards moving the funds into a Vangard index fund until we determine what the appropriate stocks might be.

Best wishes and Fool On!

Rick (a.k.a. GliderGuy)

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us