The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotbecause-it-got-here-firstquot-only-13600888.aspx

Subject:  Re: American Express - Why use? Date:  10/31/2000  4:43 PM
Author:  kaigun Number:  48338 of 308660

"Because it got here first."

Only partially true. While American Express and Wells Fargo both grew out of the Pony Express, I believe that Diners Club was the first "credit card". It started as a way for diners in New York to eat out at participating restaurants and receive a periodic bill. This was a more option than going to one's own club all the time to entertain guests, etc, and the city club has gone the way of brandy and sodas for the most part.

As far as to why one would carry an Amex or Diners, many corporations use them as company cards. Diners, interestingly enough, is (last time I checked) the only card that gives you primary insurance coverage for a rental car in the State of New York, an important consideration for me. Also, they have not charged a late fee if, as has happened to me, my payment has arrived after the due date as a result of traveling. i have also found that I received a better exchange rate in some of the countries I visited with Diners/Amex than I did with Visa/MC when I compared statements with my receipts.

Kaigun Chusa

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us