The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-use-suretrade-and-its-been-easy-in-some-ways-13601045.aspx

Subject:  Re: Online brokerage experiences... Date:  10/31/2000  5:03 PM
Author:  thehendrys Number:  25883 of 86482

I use SURETRADE, and it's been easy in some ways and inconvenient is other ways.

It was easy to open up the account and get started. I just filled out an electronic form that I printed and mailed to SURETRADE along with an initial contribution of $500. It was setup in 2 weeks, and I was able to buy a stock with that $500. That part was simple and convenient.

However, I have also experienced an inconvience with SURETRADE. My wife and I have a Joint online trading account setup with SURETRADE. When I opened my wife's IRA, I sold a few shares of one of our stocks to "fund" her IRA. I assumed it would be simple to transfer the money from our Joint account to her IRA. It wasn't. We had to mail in a NOTARIZED letter of authorization with both of our signatures to transfer the funds from our Joint SURETRADE account to her Roth IRA SURETRADE account.

All in all, I think an online brokerage is the way to go for setting up an IRA. It allows you to be in control of the funds - which gives real meaning to self directed IRA. It is also quick and easy to setup and begin buying and holding stocks and index funds.

Good luck,
the hendrys
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us