The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

Subject:  Why Ralph Nader Won Date:  11/9/2000  8:49 AM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  6441 of 2022193

Ralph Nader got exactly what he wanted. I mean it.

I know you don't believe it, so bear with me for a few paragraphs and I will try to explain.

Ralph is a LTBH kind of guy. He's patient. When he found a car that killed people, he didn't firebomb one of them, he wrote a book. That took a year, and it took years more to get Corvairs off the market, but it did happen. It took decades to get seat-belts, airbags, and those other safety features we now take for granted designed into our modern cars.

Ralph can wait.

If you'll skip with me for a moment to the political process, there is another election in 2002. As it turns out, there are far more Republican Senators than Democrats up for election then, and far more of those Republicans are thought to be "vulnerable". Given that the current makeup of the Senate is 50-50 or 51-49, that does not augur well for them two years hence.

But it's not even "two years", since there is a six-month "election campaign" which precedes the election, giving the new president about 18 months in which to accomplish something before Washington clears out to go stump in the local precincts.

Now I'm going to posit that W will be the President. The popular vote doesn't count, and 96.2% of us accept that. I'm also going to posit that there will be no re-vote in Dade County, or in Florida, or in the USA, mostly because the legal rules for doing so are murky, untested, and difficult to timely adjudicate in any event.

When the recount is over, it will be clear that W has the most votes, although I should not be surprised, given the closeness of the election, if Gore waits for some or many of the mail-in ballots to arrive before conceding. Perhaps he won't, but it is of no matter, he will concede. And he will try to look his Presidential and Statesmanlike best doing so, "for the good of the country."

I'm even going to posit that the electors will follow the rules, although I should not be surprised to see much speculation about, and perhaps even one of them "voting thei