The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/instead-of-each-state-having-a-different-number-13664980.aspx

Subject:  Re: Electoral College: Good? Date:  11/9/2000  11:24 AM
Author:  Goofyhoofy Number:  6580 of 1951575

Instead of each state having a different number of votes determined by their representation in congress (our current system), each state gets 1 vote.

This is such a terrible idea I don't know where to begin. How about that each voter vote in Montana would likely be worth 5,000 voter votes in California? Or perhaps that each voter vote in Arizona would be worth 3,000 voter votes in Florida. (Just to keep the example better for the Republicans in one example and for the Democrats in the other.)

I also don't advocate direct election, because that would give virtually all the influence to the large cities, and flawed as it is, the electoral college system gave rise to "battleground" states Tennessee and Ohio, and prompted campaign visits to Maine, Michigan, and Arizona - as well as the obvious pandering to the big population states such as California and New York (and Florida.)

I'm not sure what the answer is, but in the choice between "direct popular election" and "electoral college", I vote for "None of the above."
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us