The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/brian-congratulations-starting-a-roth-at-your-13701536.aspx

Subject:  Re: In persuit of wisdom Date:  11/14/2000  8:11 AM
Author:  anuvaka Number:  5561 of 19483

brian
congratulations!!! starting a Roth at your age is a Win.
how do you squeeze the most out of compound interest? contribute your $2000 every year for the next ten years, DO NOT tap into your roth for any reason. you should also start some other type of savings for the car, house, family you may have later.
i am not going to do the math, but your Roth will be worth a lot at retirement.the trick is not to withdraw from it. 1 withdrawal of only a few thousand dollars will set you back many years in interest gained, or force you to make more contributions later.
would i do anything different? yes, i would have started an IRA at 19 but it was not availible then. i would have a pre-nuptial agreement that declares the Roth as "yours alone" after marriage.i know you dont think that way now, love will last for ever, but the stats say 50% of marriages end in divorce. and if you stay married, your wife of 50 years will share in the income from the roth anyway, right?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us