The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-often-wondered-if-we-really-need-brokers-13719092.aspx

Subject:  Re: Taking possession of stocks Date:  11/16/2000  9:04 AM
Author:  TMFExRO Number:  26166 of 76095

I've often wondered if we really need brokers holding our stocks. Can't we take possession of the stock certificates ourselves, and stash them in our bank box?

Yes, you can. Many people, myself included, find it easier to leave the stocks at the broker, but it's your choice.

Then, I guess all dividends, etc are sent directly to us, right? It seems easier, somehow, but is there something I don't know about this? Do companies charge to send you the actual stock certificates??? Do brokers charge a fee for this also?

Yes, if you have the stocks registered in your name and take the certificate, the dividends will be sent to you, unless you choose to reinvest them.

I assume most discount brokers charge a fee for getting a certificate issued. Check the fee schedule. I know of at least one full-service broker that doesn't charge a fee, but their commissions more than make up for it.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us