The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-question-was-a-lot-harder-than-it-looked-at-13739760.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is there one idea above the rest? Date:  11/19/2000  10:26 AM
Author:  InvestorJan Number:  38152 of 214614

This question was a lot harder than it looked at first glance. In science, it would be hard to find a more powerful fact than "everything is made up of atoms". I do not think that it would be easy to find a better starting point to re-discover the world of science.

In investing, the one pivotal, central thought that would get someone who knew nothing at all about investing off on the right foot is not easily put into a simple phrase...like "everything is made up of atoms".

I have re-read the submissions to this question and I still am not sure which of the submissions is closer to the truth.

After reading everyone's submission...my take is that the single first idea...the one you can build on with experience...empirical knowledge and experimentation is ...

Buy businesses that face easy decisions...if you started with that you could deduce later from experience that it is better to get them at a lower price, etc. Buying good businesses at reasonable prices...is two ideas, although it is very good advice.

So, based on the single idea concept...my current thinking...which is always a candidate for modification is "look for easy businesses".

Please read the responses and add any other single idea.

THIS IS MUCH HARDER THAN THINKING ABOUT CALCULATIONS...AND IMHO much, much more important.

Jan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us