The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in Colorado

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-mirjam-only-a-difference-visually-for-a-13815388.aspx

Subject:  Re: Miriam's Ski Report 11/22/2000 Date:  12/1/2000  6:36 AM
Author:  Moellemann Number:  1352 of 6270

Hi Mirjam,

Only a difference visually for a German, I guess. But our conversation is visual, isn't it? Mirjam is my correct name, but Americans have a trouble with it.

you see it, I like "Mirjam" it is much more smooth to pronounce, for me at least... :-)

Thank you very much - you are very kind. I did not want to take the liberty. I don't know which to use in unfamiliar social situations - and internet conversation is one of those unknowns. Everyone that I call du I have already known my whole life, so I am not very well versed in this area.

We had a discussion about that on the German board. It actual was a question a TMF asked the users. Shall we say Sie or Du to you. I was impressed by the German answers. Everyone who replied to that question voted for using Du.
That is from Industrieworker to Scientist, just everyone. That was quite a surprise to me. Those super formalist germans seem to become a bit more open to the rest of the world. I liked it.

Sometimes I use that babelfish translater. But that output seems very strange to me. But it is a help at least to find single words, I guess.

Mirjam, thank you very much for your offer. I will take it for serious and when I'm in the United States for my next 4 week vacation, I'm going to visit you although it's in the summer. :-)

Be careful with those skilift (Sessellift how did you call them?) and don't go to fast when you go skiing on weekend!
Have fun and a lot of powdersnow :-)

Heinz
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us