The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/tache-you-have-five-options-when-you-calculate-13853451.aspx

Subject:  Re: Multiple IRA's Date:  12/7/2000  9:16 AM
Author:  sonny36 Number:  5777 of 19372

Tache,
You have five options when you calculate your MRD for any tax-deferred account. Not all account custodians will allow all five, but here are the options:
SINGLE/RECALCULATE, SINGLE/TERM CERTAIN
JOINT/RECALCULATE, JOINT/TERM CERTAIN
JOINT/HYBRID (RECALULATE OWNER, TERM CERTAIN BENEF.)
Each of the options have advantages and disadvantages and tax consequences for you and the beneficiaries. There is a web site with a MRD calculator that show the results of the different options.
www.piperjaffray.com/si then select retirement calculators. Since you are 70.5 in Jan. 2001 your RBD is not until April 1, 2002 for your first distribution, but you should really take your first distribution in the year 2001 by no later than Dec. 31, 2001 otherwise you will have two distributions in 2002. I have been leading a Retirement Planning Study Group on this very topic for the last 2 months. If you'd like more information please contact me at gstipps@iquest.net and I can send you more infor.

sonny36
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us