The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-pam-i-found-out-some-more-stuff-by-13878869.aspx

Subject:  Re: SIMPLE IRA--choice of trustees? Date:  12/11/2000  1:58 PM
Author:  RenaissanceWoman Number:  26536 of 86482

Thanks, Pam.

I found out some more stuff by reading the relevant IRS publications (#590 and 560) and looking at the forms typically filed by the employer setting up the SIMPLE (form 5304-SIMPLE or 5305-SIMPLE).

Apparently if the employer uses 5304, employees have their choice of financial institution. If the employer uses 5305, there will be a designated financial instition that will receive contributions.

BUT: there is a provision in form 5305 which states that designated financial institution must agree to transfer funds to another IRA (I assume another SIMPLE, if it is within the initial 2-year period?) without cost or penalty, if the employee so desires. I am going to talk to the evil Edward Jones rep this afternoon and try to discern whether he can charge any fees at all if we decide to transfer all funds to a T. Rowe Price or other account immediately upon receipt.

Any other info/experience much appreciated!

RW
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us