The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  UGMA or ? Date:  12/11/2000  3:49 PM
Author:  isaacsmama Number:  42763 of 127545

My 5 year old son has an UGMA account (I am custodian) which is up to $60,000. It consists of stocks and an Index fund. However, he (I) gets hit with a tax bill every year. Is there a way to convert some/all of this into a Roth or other tax deferred account? Would this be a good idea? Also, with the Roth, if it is not used for education, what happens to it? (He is an only child).
Elaine Bush
Carmel, CA
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us