The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/verizon-401k-puzzle-13922455.aspx

Subject:  VeriZon 401k Puzzle Date:  12/17/2000  8:13 PM
Author:  actii Number:  10137 of 25247

I am a relatively new employee with VeriZon. I came on board shortly before NYNEX merger. I have read this board and others, ie: VZ VeriZon stock to ascertain the most successful strategy in building for retirement with my VZ sponsored 401K.

I started out not knowing where to put my money so I initially allotted 6% of my salary into the Govt Money Market Fund. I then increased that another 4% for a total of 10%. During the recent strike, when VZ stock tanked at $40.00. I shifted everything to VZ stock and got in at 42 ½ due to the delay involved in the processing the transaction with Price Waterhouse, (the plan administrator).

I am looking to hear from people who are employees with VZ that would like to enter into discussions relating to where would be the best of the 11 funds currently being offered in the plan. In addition I am anticipating more fund additions with the merger of GTE plans.

The 401K consists of the following funds:

-----GOVT MONEY MARKET FUND----
"generaly similar to the Salomon Brothers 30 day Treasury Bill Index".

-----INCOME FUND----
"US Treasury and federal agency obligations, corporate bonds, govt backed mortgage securities and asset backed securities".

-----US BOND MARKET INDEX FUND----
"Replicates Lehman Brothers Aggregate Bond Index"

-----US BALANCED FUND----
"Based upon the Wilshire 5000, Lehman Brothers Government /Corporate Bond"

-----GOLBAL BALANCED FUND----
"MSCI-EAFE-NET"

-----PASSIVE US EQUITIES INDEX FUND----
"Closely mirrors the makeup of the S&P 500 Index"

-----ACTIVE US EQUITIES INDEX FUND----
"Attempts to out perform the Wilshire 5000 Index"

-----US SMALL CAPITALIZATION FUND----
"Attempts to out perform, over time the Russell 2000 Index"

-----PASSIVE INTERNATIONAL EQUITIES INDEX FUND----
"Investments mirror the MSCI-EAFE-GDP"

-----ACTIVE INTERNATIONAL EQUITIES INDEX FUND----
"Investments based on MSCI-SCI-EAFE-NET and the IFC"

-----VERIZON SHARES FUND----
"Invested substantially in VZ Shares"

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us