The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Private / Foolanthropy -- Charity Drive

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-cant-get-as-excited-as-others-about-a-single-13951302.aspx

Subject:  Re: I won't be donating to Grameen again Date:  12/21/2000  2:55 PM
Author:  BenMoyle Number:  3446 of 5550

I can't get as excited as others about a single mailing in response to a donation, even a large packet where the information from TMF is considered superior (since it is the net of their study). The charity can't reasonably be expected to tailor their mailing differently for Fool investors versus others, that takes effort away from other work, effectively costing more than the arguably 'wasted' postage.

What I would be more concerned about is if these charities do what many seem to, respond to donations with solicitations for more of them, or sell their list to others. They may even accelerate the frequency of solicitation to those who do respond to secondary requests. (I think political parties do this.) From the charities' perspective this is making their solicitations more efficient, but from the donor's perspective it's a major irritation, because of all the extra mail (some of these seem to be harder to get rid of than a Newsweek subscription), and because it attempts to put you into a guilt feeling for saying 'no' when in fact you are a contributor, just not 'recently'.

Does TMF investigate this aspect of the charities?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us