The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Private / Foolanthropy -- Charity Drive

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/on-the-whole-thank-you-for-your-donation-13951346.aspx

Subject:  Re: I won't be donating to Grameen again Date:  12/21/2000  2:59 PM
Author:  DollarIQ Number:  3447 of 5550

On the whole 'thank you for your donation' marketing literature debate: I wonder, can't charities begin to make a relatively uniform option to allow people to "opt out" over receiving stuff, or at least excessive stuff?

For instance, if we do this via internet or in response to a flyer or whatever, it should have a little checkbox we can mark off to refuse receiving anything beyond an acknowledgement (yes, I know they'll send something anyway, but basically keep it to a minimum). They can keep the checkbox really obscure so only people who obviously don't want it will be determined enough to find it and check it off (think about those sweepstake forms in which you can opt out of their 'free' magazine offers, but still participate in the sweeptstakes).

I understand the heavy emphasis on marketing materials, the thank you stuff, etc., because they hope that a proven donor (no matter what the size of the donation) will pass the word around.... the best marketing effort is usually the person who's already donated. Unfortunately for their marketing efforts, many of us (at least here on TMF) are too savvy to be pursuaded to do more merely because we got a pretty (and big!) brochure or stuff to clutter our mailboxes.

I suspect this is a big beef common to regular donors around the country for a long time now, since I've been aware of this debate since even before I made my first contribution by mail, ever ... really, can't there be a way for charities to cut down if not eliminate their marketing efforts to established donors? In particular, the more savvy donors (if, in fact, it's the savvy donor they are looking for).

If the more sophisticated charitable organizations start this, I'm sure there will be a trickle down effect. Save money, effort, time, and not least, paper.

Just my thoughts once again, $IQ

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us