The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Roth IRA appropriate? Date:  12/27/2000  12:36 PM
Author:  Crosenfield Number:  26807 of 88541

If your adjusted gross income is less than $150000 a year for married, filing jointly, you are allowed a Roth IRA.
If your income is too great for a traditional IRA to be tax deductible, the Roth makes all kinds of sense because you do not pay tax on the capital gains.
If you are in an even higher income range, then the non-deductible traditional IRA is all you have available. In that case it still lets you defer tax on the earnings and is better than nothing.
Best wishes, Chris
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us