The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/paying-into-a-sep-as-an-employer-and-employee-13992848.aspx

Subject:  Paying into a SEP as an employer AND employee Date:  12/29/2000  3:22 PM
Author:  onmyway2 Number:  26860 of 75523

I think I'm confusing myself...or is it the 'rules' that are confusing ME.
My husband is self employed with no employee other than himself. I understand the calculations needed to determine how much he as an employer can pay into the SEP account. My question is Can he also pay into this same account as an employee? It appears we can pay about 7500 into the SEP. As I read the instructions from an employee prospective, I see the employee can contribute up to $6000 into the SEP account set up by the employer.(not to exceed a total of $12000 a year total contribution into that account) So for us this would mean we could pay another 4500 into the SEP account. Right?
I've read back several pages on this board and can't find this addressed so I'm thinking, I'm dreaming or wishing or just plain off base.

Can someone point me toward 'knowledge and wisdom'?

Thanks and I'll be
ONMYWAY2
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us