The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/effective-gift-date-14025691.aspx

Subject:  Effective Gift Date Date:  1/4/2001  12:10 AM
Author:  twputnam Number:  43892 of 121061

I have been giving stock to my children by having my broker transfer the stock to their broker and into their account. I have been using the transfer date and average stock price on the date of transfer to value the gift. The extreme volatility of the market is causing me a problem because of the several day delay between the instructions to the broker to effect the transfer and the actual transfer. For example, I wrote a letter to my broker yesterday to transfer 125 shares with a value slightly less than $10,000. Today that stock price increased $30 per share greatly exceeding the $10,000 limit. Can I use the day that I instruct the broker to transfer the stock to establish the value? It seems like I could since it seems that if I gave them actual stock certificates registered in my name, they would be valued on the day that I personally gave them to them, even though they would have to have them registered in their names after they received them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us