The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  IRS "Qualified" Stock Trader question Date:  1/4/2001  7:12 PM
Author:  fbarron Number:  43933 of 127534

After reading the two articles above, a question came to mind. Say you manage to become a trader in the eyes of the IRS, if you have tax losses previously filed and yet unclaimed, can you take all the losses during the year you start reporting as a trader? I realize you can take up to $3000 per year anyway, but would this new designation enable you to take more than that to "clear the books" on those prior losses? Any help would be appreciated.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us