The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Books & Writing / Aspiring Writers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/stealiing-and-being-stolen-from-14107697.aspx

Subject:  Stealiing and being stolen from Date:  1/14/2001  4:35 AM
Author:  McLaury Number:  34 of 4868

I'm not worried about my ideas being stolen - you can't copyright ideas anyway.

I do worry, however, as someone else said, that I will inadvertently steal someone's else's idea.

We all know that there are very few truly original ideas.

Most work takes a kernel from here a kernel from there and puts a unique stamp on the project.

I have been thinking for the last few years about how a particular decision or event can change the course of our lives. Then out comes the movie "Sliding Doors" (which I thought was great). Did they steal my idea? Heck no. I never mentioned it to anyone. It's not a unique thought, but one I was fascinated by. If I had written a movie, the premise would have been the same, but everything else would have been different. Could I have claimed that the writer and producers of Sliding Doors had stolen my idea. No.

Just as in scientific research where researchers in different parts of the world can come up with "breakthroughs" at the same time without any interaction, many people can be thinking of a song or novel or movie about the same subject, even with a similar twist and there is no theft involved.

So, my feeling is, write it and put it out there in the world. Just because someone else had a similar idea, that doesn't mean they stole it.

Susan
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us