The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Untangling 'Hung' 401K Date:  1/21/2001  8:50 AM
Author:  W401K Number:  27357 of 88063

The Department of Labor is the correct agency. They cover 401ks.
This is probably going to be a very long process. I would stay in constant contact, (at least every 2 weeks) with the 401k provider to check up on the progress of the plan liquidation. The main problem here is the 401k administrator can only liquidate the assets by oreder of the Plan Trustee. If its possible, find out who the Trustee of the plan is (was). If its a corporation such as a bank, contact that entity and make them aware of whats going on. If its an individual, such as the business owner, or officers of the business, you need to try to track them down. If this is not possible, then the Department of Labor will work the 401k administrator in liquidating the assets. Remeber though, the DOL is a government agency, so this will take awhile.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us