The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/child-care-credit-car-donation-for-head-of-hous-14189661.aspx

Subject:  child care credit, car donation for head of hous Date:  1/24/2001  6:34 PM
Author:  ptr42 Number:  44768 of 121175

Hello!

Facts: I am a single mom (only 1 child) and have joint legal custody with the dad (I have primary physical custody). I earned about $36K last year of my own salary and received about $7K in spouse support. As per a court order, I refunded $2K of the spouse support to the child's father. As per another court order, the Dad is supposed to share 50% of Day Care costs. He & I both paid about $2K to the child's daycare provider. However, I was the only one who provided supplies to the daycare, like diapers and wipes. (The dad should have shared the costs, but he didn't). I also donated a car to a charity.

I plan to file as head of household with standard deductions and claim the child as my dependent.

Questions: (1) Can I claim a credit for the donated car if I am claiming standard deductions?

(2) Can I claim Child Care Credit for payments made to the daycare provider?

(3) Can I claim a credit for daycare supplies, namely diapers and wipes. If yes, do I have to show receipts or can I make an approximation?

(4) Are there any other credits available to me?

Thanks,
- Donna.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us