The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: child care credit, car donation for head of Date:  1/24/2001  8:13 PM
Author:  ptr42 Number:  44773 of 127613

Thanks for your advice. Just want to clarify one more thing - the $500 child tax credit is over and above the Child Care Credit. Right?

Also, one more question that I forgot to post earlier...

I received $7K from my ex as spouse support, of which I refunded him $2.5K. The spouse support has been garnished from his wages, so his W2 would show a payment of $7K. I had written him a check of about $1.5 K, deducting $1K for other payments he had to make to me...

The question is:
I am assuming IRS will only want to tax me on $4.5K I actually received as spousal support. Will they take me on my word, or do I have to enclose the detailed court order explaining the refund and adjustments? Do I need to fill-out any forms to explain this?

- Donna.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us