The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks T / Tanger Factory Outlet Cnt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/yes-i-have-reits-had-a-fall-in-98-but-came-back-14204151.aspx

Subject:  Re: REIT Date:  1/26/2001  12:49 PM
Author:  md29 Number:  3 of 11

Yes I have. REITS had a fall in 98, but came back fairly strong. You have many options with REITS from office properties to hotels to shopping malls. I use the buy what you know philosophy. You can probably find properties in your area that are REITS. Most good REITS give great site maps. When I lived in Seattle I could drive around and actually see the properties I invested in. Full parking lots are only a small indication of financial health, but it does show that people are going to these properties to work, live, or shop. Plus the dividend yields are great. You can choose between growth REITS with modest yields. Or invest with REITS that have high yields. Beware of high yields though. Some companies cannot support them if things get rough. REITS are a great way to balance against tech. Positive yield cash flow makes things better when your favorite tech takes it in the shorts.
Many DRIP REITS also have no fees. purchasing is free and dividend reinvestment is free. I consider myself fairly aggresive, but REITS will be in my portforlio unless something drastically changes. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I'm not an expert, but I have done a little homework.

MD29
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us