The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Jimmy Buffett-Style Retirement

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-everyone-well-im-27-currently-working-as-a-14231705.aspx

Subject:  Re: I'm in! Date:  1/30/2001  3:31 PM
Author:  mphela Number:  60 of 381

Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm 27, currently working as a software engineer in Denver, so all of these ski bum stories are making me jealous. It's on my list of things to do once in this life. Anyway, I've been lurking on the RE board for a while, and I decided to finally sign up. I like the concept of this board, and although I've never been to a Buffett concert, YET, this is definitely my type of crowd.

I've been in the working world for over 5 years now. I'm currently on my 3rd job, and I was laid off from both of my previous jobs. I got the taste of "retirement" spending 6 months unemployed between jobs. Now, I'm definitely saving and planning for a life-long career of "bumming". Opening a bar, skiing, surfing, backpacking, starting a band, watching Simpsons....all fantastic ideas.

Speaking of Simpsons, a good RE episode is where Homer saves enough money to quit the power plant and start his dream job - working at the bowling alley. Same concept applies here.

Right now I'm working towards taking a break from employment and travelling in Europe for a while. Hopefully this fall. I look forward to hearing your ideas and dreams and talking about beaches.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us