The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Jimmy Buffett-Style Retirement

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/professional-sports-players-and-entertainers-were-14275125.aspx

Subject:  Re: Pulling the trigger Date:  2/5/2001  11:38 AM
Author:  ChocoKitty Number:  148 of 381

Professional sports players and entertainers were thought to be the worst of the non-producers. They got millions of dollars for producing nothing of value. An honorable career was to be a doctor, an engineer, a teacher, a plumber or a carpenter. Be someone who helps others or who creates or produces something, I was told.

My take on this -- doctors, engineers, etc. and entertainers, artists, etc. are both very valuable to society. Those in so-called honorable careers make a comfortable life for us possible, but the so-called "non-producers" are the ones who help make life worth living. I'd hate to imagine a life that is so focused on the utilitarian and the practical that there's no room left for *enjoying* our short time here on earth (believe me, I'm speaking from experience here). Whether you think they're valuable or not, "non-producers" bring happiness and enjoyment to *somebody*, judging by the money they make!

If our main purpose in life is to toil away our entire lives, I'd hate to be the one to break that news to today's children. I would find that incredibly cruel.

CK
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us