The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-is-an-email-i-sent-to-the-attorney-general-of-14278960.aspx

Subject:  Re: Credit Card Company vs. Consumer Date:  2/5/2001  6:25 PM
Author:  FinancialFemme Number:  56965 of 308474

This is an email I sent to the Attorney General of Alaska. Please any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm looking in the right place, but I was told by my credit card company that if I had an issue with them I needed to take it up with the attorney general, not them. I sent two post-dated checks (with the dates highlighted yellow and hand-written "Not Valid Until" on it) to my credit card company earlier this year. These checks would have fullfilled my payment arrangement with them and I sent it in as a sign of good faith.

Sorry to hear about your battles with the credit cards.

I can't speak to your questions on the legality/illegality of the credit card company cashing your post-date, but I have always been under the impression that it is illegal to post-date a check without sufficient funds to cover it.

Please let me advise on your email to the Alaska Att. General. It is HIGHLY unlikely that your email will be read by the AG. A general staffer, maybe even an intern will read your email. Because of the way an AG's office is organized, your best bet is to call the AG's general number, briefly describe your problem as a consumer issue pertaining to a credit card and ask for the name and address of the appropriate department and name of the best person within that department for you to speak with. Then, write that person a letter describing your situation in detail. US Post is better than email as it is more likely to be read and handled appropriately. I would specify whether or not the credit card solicited this post-dated check from you as a measure of good faith or whether you thought that this would indicate good faith and mailed it in. It might take some time to receive a written response. Give it at least a week and follow-up with the person you wrote to by phone if you need a response faster.

You might also want to consider writing your US Senator, US Congressman, state Senator, and state Representative in this matter.

Good luck!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us