The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-not-entirely-sure-if-im-looking-in-the-right-14303606.aspx

Subject:  Re: Credit Card Company vs. Consumer Date:  2/8/2001  3:01 PM
Author:  sabaka1 Number:  57291 of 308883

I'm not entirely sure if I'm looking in the right place, but I was told by my credit card
company that if I had an issue with them I needed to take it up with the attorney general,
not them. I sent two post-dated checks (with the dates highlighted yellow and
hand-written "Not Valid Until" on it) to my credit card company earlier this year. These
checks would have fullfilled my payment arrangement with them and I sent it in as a sign
of good faith.

Actually, I believe FinancialFemme is correct that it is illegal to postdate a check for which you do not have the funds. In any case, postdating is completely meaningless. In this day and age of automated check clearing, there is no mechanism to read dates on checks. Hence, the law against it. The payee is not obligated in any way to wait till the date on the check to present it for payment.

Sorry you got messed up by this. This is an antiquated notion dating from hand clearing of checks.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us