The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Expatriot IRA Question Date:  2/9/2001  6:56 AM
Author:  YvesManoover Number:  46011 of 127613

Couchcamel: I have been claiming the Foreign Earned Income Excusion since 1995, and every year I contribute to my Roth IRA, and to my wife's Roth IRA.

Wow! How do you do that? My hazy knowledge is that you have to have U.S. earned income in order to plunk in to your Roth for a given year. As all my earned income is earned overseas, I thought that meant I couldn't make IRA contributions. Do you somehow still manage to have U.S. earned income every year, or is there something I'm missing?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us