The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Reporting Roth Recharacterization Date:  2/9/2001  7:08 AM
Author:  dickeyb Number:  46012 of 127846

After making my $2000 Roth contrubution for 2000, I ended up exceeding the income limit & now must recharacterize the contribution to a Traditional IRA. It seems that if I file my taxes before the recharacterization, I'll have to file form 5329, and pay the tax on excess contributions; then after I recharacterize, file an amended 1040x along with form 8606. Is this correct?

Any help is much appreciated.

(Who wishes that IRS would hire some non-accountant types to write their instructions)
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us