The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Paying state tax in the wrong state, please Date:  2/9/2001  2:08 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  46050 of 127616

Chris has the basics correct.

You will file NJ1040NR with New Jersey. You will report your income from everywhere in column A and leave column B (income from NJ) blank. Report the NJ withholdings on the appropriate line.

Get a letter from your employer attesting to the fact that you worked in GA all year and did not work in NJ. Attach a copy of the letter to your NJ return (This will save time if NJ decides to review your return.)

As always, keep copies of everything you send to the state.

You should get your entire withholdings back.

IMPORTANT: You want to do this ASAP, because you probably owe GA money for the withholdings that went to NJ. You can "wait" on your GA return until 4/16 to see if you get your NJ refund first.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us