The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  When to take the lossess Date:  2/15/2001  9:08 AM
Author:  umma2three Number:  46512 of 127753

Hello everyone,

My husband and I live and work overseas, and are exempt from federal taxes. We both have roll-over IRA's and a third account all invested in mutual funds. These funds were purchased before I found TMF, and on the recommendation of a Schwab representation.

Each of these accounts started out with around $10,000 each. Today, they are down by 19%-39%. I am learning that index funds are the way to go. I would like to transefer all of these funds (especially the roll-over IRA's) over to an index fund.

If I were to sell today, we would have a loss. However, since we will be exempt from taxes for the year 2001, should we sell in 2002 (we move back to the states and will have to pay income taxes) I am assuming that I won't recoup my losses in one year.

Please use small words since I am a brand new FOOL.

Thank you for any help.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us