The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/thanks-to-everyone-for-the-lively-discussion-14392405.aspx

Subject:  Re: What comes first? Date:  2/21/2001  9:35 AM
Author:  cacsc3 Number:  28015 of 75776

Thanks to everyone for the lively discussion regarding my original post.

I'm really glad establishing an Emergency Fund was mentioned. I would like it if someone would clarify something about that for me. I called TIAA-CREF (who also administers my 403b) and I believe they said that 911$ should be 10% of income seperate from any other investments??

Also, about my original post: I don't make much ( I work for a school). My 403b allows you to contrib. up to 20% or $10,500- whichever comes first. The 7% contrib. from my employer will begin this coming Sept. and is directed into whichever TIAA-CREF funds I indicate (existing or new ones). This money will be contributed as long as I am an employee of the school, regardless of whether I continue to fund money into the 403b or not.

So, again, what to do first? I am putting the 10% into a 911$. I probably should and could comfortably contrib. up to 10% into my 403b. Is this all I should do for now? No other IRA/Roth?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us