The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bob78164-writes-in-part-i-like-to-think-i-14397245.aspx

Subject:  Re: Deemed Sale of Personal Residence Date:  2/21/2001  6:17 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  46920 of 121217

Bob78164 writes (in part): I like to think I have three or four good ideas every year.

I reply: Watch it, Bob. Theodore von Karman writes in his autobiography that most great scientists have one good idea in their lifetimes, but that he, von Karman, had two.

[This is somewhat inside. Both Bob and I went to Caltech, where von Karman was a biggie in the 1930's -40's. There was a bust of him in the Aero Library. I don't think von Karman was quite as vain as Millikan, who used to come in every day after his retirement to make sure his bust had been properly dusted, but it was close.]

[Here is a von Karman story. He was dividing his time between Caltech and Zurich and suffered from jet lag. He delivered a lecture, and noticed he was at Caltech and had delivered the lecture in German. He asked the class, "Why didn't you tell me I was speaking to you in German??" The response: "Professor von Karman, speak to us in English, speak to us in German, it really doesn't matter."]
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us