The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/criser-writes-hey-bob-so-doesnt-that-youre-14399922.aspx

Subject:  Re: Deemed Sale of Personal Residence Date:  2/22/2001  1:16 AM
Author:  Bob78164 Number:  46962 of 121261

criser writes:

Hey Bob - so doesn't that you're holding out on at least a half dozen good ideas since then?!?

I reply:

Well, I'll share one. But remember, you asked for it!

Imagine that your favorite baseball team is tied with two out in the bottom of the ninth. There are runners on first and third, and the batter hits a ground ball toward the middle. The second baseman fields the ball in the hole, and knowing he has no chance to turn and make the throw to first, flips the ball to the shortstop covering second. The throw barely beats the sliding runner, ending the inning.

The runner has just made a mistake. He should have run through the bag, just like the batter runs through first base. Sure, he's a sitting duck to be tagged out after overrunning the bag, but in the meantime the runner on third will have scored, ending the game. By rule, the run can never count if the third out comes on a force play, but it's a timing play once the runner reaches second base safely. But in all my years watching baseball, I've never seen the correct play executed.

I never said that my good ideas had anything to do with taxes. ;-) --Bob
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us