The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/time-to-bail-on-advest-14408508.aspx

Subject:  Time To Bail On Advest? Date:  2/23/2001  1:31 AM
Author:  rothbear Number:  28055 of 75801

About 6-7 years ago I opened a SEP-IRA through Advest with the Alliance Technology fund. Last year it lost 29% and is still going down. This year I opened a Roth IRA with Vanguard (Total Index Fund) and also transferred another Sep-IRA that I had with AmEX. It cost me a bundle ($75) to transfer about $8000 and I'm not sure I want to take that kind of hit again, but I'm also not sure that I can withstand any more loss on the Alliance either. Keep in mind that I no longer work temporarily due to various reasons and hubby makes less than $40,000 with neither one of us having a pension plan except for a very small 401K plan he now has at his 4 person office. He also has a 401K that got rolled over from his previous job. He will be 50 and I will be 49 this year and we have a daughter going off to college in the fall as well. I am getting really nervous about this and I guess I'm just wondering if I should ride it out or bite the bullet and transfer it while there still is some earnings left. Any thoughts or help on this?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us