The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jafo-i-appreciate-your-response-but-i-dont-see-14414605.aspx

Subject:  Re: Pension Plan Choices Date:  2/23/2001  6:39 PM
Author:  pmcw007 Number:  28072 of 75859

JAFO, I appreciate your response, but I don't see where it answers the question. I understand benefit plans pretty well since I'm a retired CEO.

<<pmcw007: "Isn't it true that many life insurance wrapped programs can be set up to be either defined contribution or defined benefit? During the last decade, which type has sold more (as measured in dollars) and which carries a higher sales commission?">>

JAFO Replied: "A large reason for the change from defined benefit plans (traditional pension) and the defined contribution plans (401-k, etc.) were changes in GAAP requirements WRT to compnay reporting. Dropping the defined benefit plan and shiftng to the defined contribution plan shifted the entire investment risk from the employer to the employee, also made the benefit more portable, and avoided some GAAP reporting issues WRT penisons issues (a good accountant could expand on this last point in more detail)."

Regards,pmcw
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us