The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Deceased dependent mother-in-law Date:  2/23/2001  7:37 PM
Author:  BigBunkler Number:  47065 of 127753

Do I have to file a
Form1040 for 2000 for her ONLY to let the IRS know that she has passed away? Some place I read that a tax
return has to be filed within 8 months of a person's
death but her income was well under the taxable limit
to file.

=== === ===
Since her income was under the filing limit as you indicate, there is no need to file a Form 1040 for her. The Social Security Administration notifies the IRS of decedents.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us